07 January 2005

I swear to Karita!

Ornithological musings

This morning's play list: Met broadcasts of yesteryear. (Can't you tell I'm missing the gilded prison, a.k.a. my second home?)

As Siegfried Jerusalem exclaims: "Tanz für mich, Salome!", I am visited:

A mockingbird bathing in our birdbath!

Then, as Karita Mattila utters: "Ich bin bereit, Tetrarch":

Yesterday afternoon, a mockingbird (could be the same frisky one) swooped down onto two mourning doves having a quiet drink from the bath, and (to my utter horror) a mini-cockfight of sorts ensued. There's water for everyone, I thought, please don't fight ... but the mockingbird seemed to have claimed the territory, and moreover what's a peace-loving dove to do but acquiesce and fly away.

Eventually, after many "Gib mir den Kopf des Jokanaan!", Salome gets her way anyway.

[Meanwhile, Eminem, in his ditty Mockingbird, declares: "And if that mockingbird don't sing and that ring don't shine / I'mma break that birdies neck / I'd go back to the jewler who sold it to ya / And make him eat every carat don't f* with dad (haha)." ]

Too much violence surrounding mockingbirds.

In related news, Anna Kournikova Netrebko (can't possibly mock this birdie) is appearing on David Letterman Tuesday, relayed to us via opera-l by a fellow-blogger Rosenkavalier817, a budding singer and fellow baseball fan. The layers of humor and subtext are infinite! We'll all be watching.