05 April 2007

Another casualty of Gelb

This morning I found this thunderbolt on the top of the first Arts page of the NYT. Needing to drop the paper every few lines to pace the room and breathe, I'm sick to my stomach. I'm trembling. I won't even be able to comment on this for a while.

Brava Ruth Ann! You've been a marvelous singer all these years: among your most memorable roles, I single out the ones I've enjoyed the most: your true Adina (cf. the recent gala fakery), your thrilling Lucia, and your affecting Violetta. You are very brave. Your hometown fans support you.

Meanwhile, the book sent out by the Met to announce their coming season has Natalie Dessay on the cover, looking heroin-chic in a "little white dress" for the new production of
Lucia di Lammermoor. Swenson's declaration "I think I'm not skinny enough for him" stabs me right in frailest section of the heart.